Can an umbrella be a luxury travel item? It can when it’s the Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella. If you’re fed up with cheap umbrellas that snap inside out in the wind, leak, or break after just a few uses, it’s time to upgrade to a buy-it-for-life umbrella: the Repel Travel Umbrella.
We purchased the Repel Travel Umbrella a year ago, and have taken it with us on rainy vacations, to sunny sporting events, and on snowy commutes. Here’s our honest review.
What Makes the Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella Special?
Flimsy umbrellas flip inside out, breaking the internal ribs any time there’s a slight wind gust. The Repel Windproof Travel Umbrellas solves this problem by building in nine durable fiberglass ribs that are designed to handle an inversion (and then quickly snap back to cover your head).
The umbrella is made from a Teflon-coated fabric that sheds rain, meaning it will dry off quickly rather than dripping water all over your floors or your bag.
It has a large canopy (42 inches), yet retracts to just 11.5 inches.
Repel Umbrella Sizes: Travel vs. Golf vs. Reverse
The Repel Windproof Umbrella is available in three models: travel, golf, and reverse. Here’s how they compare:
|12.25” L x 3.5” W x 2.5” H
|Protective travel sleeve
|45.5″ L x 3.5” W x 2.25” H
|Extra large size
|34.5″ L x 3.5” W x 2.5” H
|Stands up on its own when collapsed; Reverses to feature two designs in one
Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella Pros:
- Size is portable enough for easy packing, but the large canopy still provides adequate cover from heavy rain
- The resilient frame is designed to snap back if the umbrella gets flipped inside out from the wind
- Lifetime guarantee
- A carrying case helps keep your bag dry when you come inside
- Waterproof Teflon material sheds rain and helps the umbrella dry within minutes
- Auto-open and auto-close button works smoothly
- Comes in fun colors
- The ergonomic rubber handle is easy to grip
- Folds down to be the size of a water bottle
Repel Waterproof Travel Umbrella Cons:
- Not the smallest travel umbrella on the market
- Slightly heavy
What is Repel Umbrella’s Lifetime Warranty?
Our Repel Umbrella has worked great, so we haven’t had to utilize the lifetime warranty. However, Repel states: “Our lifetime warranty means if you ever experience issues with your umbrella, then we will replace it for free. Just contact Repel directly by going to Amazon > Your account > Your Orders > Leave seller feedback > view seller profile > ask question. We will take care of you within 24 hours.”
Is the Repel Travel Umbrella Worth the Money?
After using the Repel Umbrella for over a year, we can confidently say it’s worth the money. With a lifetime guarantee (and a much more durable design), we’ll never have to buy another money. We snagged this umbrella on sale for $19 on Amazon, which is a really great deal for an umbrella of this quality.
Read More Great Travel Gear Stories
- Is the Dagne Dover Neoprene Backpack worth the hype? Read our honest review.
- Looking for the perfect personal item? Check out our review of Carl Friedrik’s Palissy Weekend Bag.
- Always meet the carry-on requirements with this ultra-lightweight suitcase. Read our detailed review of the Samsonite C-Lite Carry-On Suitcase.
- Don’t settle for a boring suitcase when you can customize your own carry-on. Read our review of the Roam Luggage Carry-On, which allows you to pick your own colors for the front, back, handles, and wheels.
- Considering buying the social-media famous Cadence Capsules for your next trip? Read our honest review first.
- Need a belt bag to go with your backpack? Read our review of the Lululemon Everywhere Belt Bag.