As someone who takes their skin and haircare routine seriously, even on the road, I never gamble that a hotel will have decent toiletries, so I always pack my own. However, I’m also a carry-on-only type of traveler, which means I need a fool-proof way to pack all my products that will keep everything organized and prevent any leaks (while still meeting the TSA’s 3-1-1 rule.)
Plastic travel-sized bottles have been the standard for years, but Cadence Capsule has changed the game with its beautifully designed refillable capsules. Read on for our honest review of Cadence Capsules.
What are Cadence Capsules?
Cadence capsules are hexagonal-shaped containers with screw-on lids that you can fill with liquids, gels, pills, small jewelry, and more for travel. The capsules are magnetic, so they will stick together, and feature magnetic labels so you can see what’s inside each one at a glance.
How Big are the Cadence Capsules?
The original Cadence Capsules only came in one size, but the brand has expanded to offer a variety of options.
Cadence Capsule sizes:
|How Many Fit in a 1 Quart Bag
|The Flex 56 Small
|1.05 H x 1.8” W x 2 L
|Top & bottom
|The Flex 132 Medium
|2.1” H x 1.8” W x 2” L
|Top, bottom, sides
|The Flex 275 Large
|3.7” H x 1.8” W x 2” L
|Top, bottom, sides
|1.8” H x 1.5” W x 1.5” L
|Top & sides
If you want more space, you can also purchase a Flex Extender, which can attach to any of the Flex Capsules to add 1.43 ounces of additional capacity. Note that if you add it to the Flex 275, it will make the container over the TSA 3-1-1 limit.
The photo above is the original Cadence Capsules size.
What are the Cadence Capsules Made From?
Cadence capsules are made from 20% recycled plastic and 30% excess manufacturing material.
Cadence Capsules Key Features:
- Customizable labels
- Work for any type of personal care products, from serums to shampoos.
- Guaranteed to be 100% leakproof, watertight, and airtight
- Rounded edges and wide mouth make the containers easy to refill and clean
- Incredibly durable (have been drop-tested)
- Very easy to refill and scoop out
- Much easier to clean thoroughly than travel-sized bottles
- Great for thick liquids and gels that won’t work in a squeeze bottle
- Containers and lids are magnetic and can stick together
- Works well for holding pills
- Completely waterproof
- Airtight and leak-proof
- Made from a non-absorbing material that won’t retain odors
- Can choose from 40 different labels or create your own custom labels
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Versatile and can be used for everything from hair ties to jewelry
- Capacity is smaller than most traditional travel-sized bottles for the amount of space that they take up.
- It doesn’t work as well for things like toothpaste
- Capsules sometimes crack. In the photo above, you can see a small crack that developed on the lid through normal use.
- Costs an extra $3 per tile to customize your own labels
- Either need to use your finger to dip into the product to get it out of the capsule or purchase a small spatula to extract the product without touching it.
How Much Do the Cadence Capsules Cost?
A single cadence capsule costs $14 for the smallest size, and up to $36 for the largest. Bundle deals are available and you’ll often save more by buying more.
Does Cadence Capsules Offer Free Shipping and Returns?
Cadence Capsules offers free shipping over $50 and free returns within 30 days of delivery. If you opt to return for a store credit, you’ll receive a $10 bonus. International returns are not accepted.
Standard shipping arrives in 12-14 business days. Shipping to Canada and Mexico takes approximately 2-3 weeks, and international shipping will arrive in 3-4 weeks.
Cadence Capsules are also available on Amazon Prime, with free 2-day shipping.
Are Cadence Capsules TSA-Approved?
You won’t have any problems getting these containers through airport security, as they meet the TSA’s 3-1-1 liquids requirements. The magnetic aspect won’t cause any issues on the scanners. We’ve taken these through hundreds of flights and never had them pulled out for additional screening.
Are Cadence Capsules Food-Safe?
According to Cadence, “companies can only be certified for either ocean-bound plastic or food-safe, even if you quality for both.” The company opted to be certified for ocean-bound plastic, however, they note that their team uses them to store food and snacks.
Are the Cadence Capsules Dishwasher-Safe?
The cadence capsules are dishwasher-safe.
Are There Discounts or Promo Codes for Cadence Capsules?
The company frequently runs sales and promotions (including a free capsule on your first order with an email sign-up.) Check their website for promo codes. You can also refer a friend and get up to $25 for each person who makes a purchase.
The Best Cadence Capsules Dupes
Cadence Capsules are great but also expensive. If you love the design but not the price tag, check out these much more affordable dupes:
- Gemice Silicone Travel Containers
- Yinke Travel Cream Jars
- Refillable Travel Jar Set With Magnetic Lids and Spoon
- Maxcheck Silicone Cream Jars
- Cosywell Travel Container Set
Read More Great Travel Gear Stories
- Looking for a personal item to go with your suitcase? Check out our review of Carl Friedrik’s Palissy Weekend Bag.
- Want custom luggage that you can design yourself? Read our detailed review of Roam Luggage’s Carry-On Suitcase.
- Plastic travel-sized bottles have been the standard for years, but Cadence Capsule has changed the game with its beautifully designed refillable capsules. Read on for our honest review of Cadence Capsules.
- We’ve taken Roam Luggage’s Carry-On Suitcase on hundreds of trips to test it out and here’s our review.
- We tested out Lululemon’s trendy Everywhere Belt Bag to find out if it’s worth the money. Read our detailed review.
- After extensive research (and seeing the backpack on many fashionable travelers and commuters), I settled on the Dagne Dover Neoprene Backpack as my go-to personal item for flying. Read on for my honest review.
- Tasman Uggs should be on your radar if you’re looking for a warm, comfortable, and stylish slipper. Read our full review here.
- Can an umbrella be a luxury travel item? It can when it’s the Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella.
- Elegantly handcrafted from supple Italian Vachetta leather, Carl Friedrik’s Palissy Weekend bag is the preeminent bag for men with impeccable taste.